When to separate to avoid cannabalism

racheljritchie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Rach
Hi my babies haven't hatched yet but I want to get organised.

I am only raising about a dozen (if they all survive)

at what age should they be separated? I have read 2 weeks and 4 weeks?:confused:

and at what age can they be reintroduced?

are they ok in size groups or are they best completely separate? what size tub shall I put them in? Is a takeaway size Tupperware dish big enough?
and how often/how much water should I change?

Thanks in advance
:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

Last edited:
I had mine in 1L containers. The takeaway food sort.

However at a certain stage they did start jumping into each others containers as the walls of the tubs weren't high enough. If you find containers with tall walls you won't need to move them again when this happens.

My "toddlers" are now 7 weeks old and I have 10 together in a large tub. There is some size difference between the largest and the smallest, but apart from 1 guy (Stumpy) losing his toes in an initial feeding frenzy (they get VERY excited when I first drop daphnia in ..lol), they have all been fine.
I will separate them by size if I see any signs of cannibalism, but so far so good. I'm hoping that by having a few rocks and leaves to hide in, and being very well fed, they will all be ok. Back legs are just starting to appear and I've heard that this can be the riskiest time. :eek:

Rachel,

I am glad that you asked this question because I am a first time Axy raiser & I have been wondering the same thing.
I have about 50 that I am raising right now, all of them have their front legs, and I do see one that looks like his back leg buds are coming in, so exciting!!! lol

Thanks everyone. I have bought extra tubs so i am ready for seperation lol. Theya re coming on really well and i am relieved to see they are eating well too :D

I am also starting to notice colour changes in them, they were all dark and now a few of them are starting to look lighter in colour like their mommy:grin:

It is so exciting

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back