Artemia-Revolution didn't work - Babies need food urgently!! Please advise!!

GwenjaminButto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I have a lot of baby axolotls that need feeding, i put a drop of liquid fry no1 in a liter of water and use that for daily water changes - how long can they survive on that diet?

Some hatched 4 days ago, others 2 days ago....

I set up a brine shrimp hatchery with these brine shrimp eggs

NT Labs Fry Care Artemia Revolution Brine Shrimp Eggs 30g: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

But checked this morning and only a few brine shrimp have actually hatched... Can i just drop these in?? There really isn't enough of them to rinse the salt water out, i think i'd just lose the shrimp, is it safe to put a bit of the salt water in with the baby axies when dropping in the shrimp? I mean like literally only 5 in each bottle....what went wrong??

Ok, so I have a lot of baby axolotls that need feeding, i put a drop of liquid fry no1 in a liter of water and use that for daily water changes - how long can they survive on that diet?

Hi sorry I cant really advise you on your problem but what is liquid fry No1?

oh I have not heard of it? will the fry eat this? I am assuming its not live?

I've been told they will.. But it's not something I've tried before so I'm unsure...

This is what it says on the packet...

"This food contains particles to give immediate nourishment and will stimulate natural infusoria (microscopic natural organisms)"

I was having problems hatching bbs as well so I tried this........ABSOLUTELY NO SALT in the water, and my ph was about 7.0 so I used 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda in luke warm water, fresh out of the tap and make sure ur keeping the temp between 82-86 degrees F and allow them 1 hour to hydrate then 24 hrs of aeration so 25 hrs total and do-not dechlorinate the water! Ill post a pic soon

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk 2

Liquifry does not work. I tried it in an emergency and none was consumed at all. Once the BBS hatched they finally had food in their bellies.

Please don't use the saltwater as that will harm them. I learnt the hard way. I couldn't get live brine shrimp when I first got my baby as seller didn't say how young it was. I used frozen until I got live. I would try that as well. I got a tub of "instant baby brine shrimp" by Ocean Nutrition from my local aquatic shop. See if you can get a hold of that anywhere.

My baby brine shrimpin station! Lol I have a fishtank heater keeping the temp stable and the red cup is just there to hold everything in place! The bbs have to have a ph of at least 8.0 so if yours is lower then add the baking soda! Hope it helps for you!

Forgot to add the pix lol! The pic that is all green is bbs in the bottom of the bottle (if u can see them!)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365690217604.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365690217604.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 479
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365690226519.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365690226519.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 383
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365690243967.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365690243967.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 480
I actually had poor hatch rate with my water, except for prepackaged eggs with salt mixture, which hatched very quickly and very well. Looked at the ingredients and noticed they were adding Epsom salts to their mix. Looked up how much to use, added it to my sea salt mix and WA LA! Great hatch rate from then on. Good luck!

I was having problems hatching bbs as well so I tried this........ABSOLUTELY NO SALT in the water, and my ph was about 7.0 so I used 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda in luke warm water, fresh out of the tap and make sure ur keeping the temp between 82-86 degrees F and allow them 1 hour to hydrate then 24 hrs of aeration so 25 hrs total and do-not dechlorinate the water! Ill post a pic soon

I can see lots of little dots in your pictures!! I didn't know no salt would work! I thought that's what they needed to hatch! lol - my this is confusing!!! If that works though I wouldn't have to rinse them either just remove most the untreated water :) Good one!!!

Please don't use the saltwater as that will harm them. I learnt the hard way. I couldn't get live brine shrimp when I first got my baby as seller didn't say how young it was. I used frozen until I got live. I would try that as well. I got a tub of "instant baby brine shrimp" by Ocean Nutrition from my local aquatic shop. See if you can get a hold of that anywhere.

I always use salt water for my baby brine. You just strain the baby brine through a brine shrimp net. A little salt in with the axolotls is good for them. What does the salt harm?

I have some frozen brine shrimp now! Is Instant Baby Brine the same as frozen or is that for hatching?

I have some frozen baby brine shrimp that I'll try puffing around the babies in hopes they'll eat some! I'll be feeding that as well and try a no salt brine shrimp hatchery, guess i'll just have to experiment!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back