Beginner from Canada!

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Morgan
Hi all! My name is Morgan and I'm 16 years old :) I am a member of the London Aquaria Society and have had fish for about 4 years now. I have a 55gallon tank with only 3 pleco's, a 20gal with a breeding pair or german rams(cichlids), and two 10gallon tanks, one being home to 'false' juli cories and pepper cories. :eek:
Last year on a club trip to Toronto, I found an amazing, weird, cool, full of personality axolotl. However another club member bought it:rolleyes: I started researching about them and I decided it's time to get one. I would only get one juvenile to house in my 10gal until it starts to outgrow it. A Tetra Whisper Filter that doesn't disturb the water, a screen lid and a fan if it gets really warm! :eek: I won't have any substrate on the bottom and there will be some terra cotta pots and fake plants for hiding places. I plan on just getting one leucistic for now. The 55gallon in the mean time will be flipped around and used for more axies when I'm comfortable taking care of one.
So thought I'd say hi and share my plans with all of you:happy:

Hi Wolfheart Welcome to caudata.org! I am also a Candaian (turning 16 the 23rd of this month). For the filter i would suggest getting a spong filter cost less to buy and run plus they are almost impossible to break or jam up. Good idea turning your 55 gallon tank into axie tank once you get one axolotl you are always going to want more, i started with 2 adult last summer to have 7 adults today. They are Honestly not to bad of a pet to care for. You will have a good expirence watching them grow up and go about everyday life. :D

If you have any trouble with food for your axolotl just msg me i have found alot of people threw mutal friends, kijiji, and ebay that can sell (most can deliever) you live food such as earthworm,blackworms,microcultures,daphnia e.c.t

Hi Wolfheart Welcome to caudata.org! I am also a Canadian (turning 16 the 23rd of this month). For the filter i would suggest getting a spong filter cost less to buy and run plus they are almost impossible to break or jam up. Good idea turning your 55 gallon tank into axie tank once you get one axolotl you are always going to want more, i started with 2 adult last summer to have 7 adults today. They are honestly not to bad of a pet to care for. You will have a good experience watching them grow up and go about everyday life. :D

If you have any trouble with food for your axolotl just msg me i have found alot of people through mutual friends, kijiji, and ebay that can sell (most can deliver) you live food such as earthworm,blackworms,microcultures,daphnia e.c.t

Thanks, that'd be amazing! I figured how everyone said that once you get one, you ALWAYS tend to get more, so I'm just preparing :bowl::D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back