3 large bellied fry in eggs? normal or deformed?

racheljritchie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Rach
Hi sorry the photo isn't great but i noticed that 3 of my axy eggs are different shape. they look like they have a large belly. is this bad? they look the same length as the others i think?

Attachments

• 20130410_223244.jpg
    20130410_223244.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 609
Hard to tell from the pictures but sometimes you just have to wait it out and see what happens! I have a lot of eggs that I purchased that are half moon shape, and some have hatched that are still in that position but I'm hoping they'll b o.k just waiting them out!! Good luck too you and yours:) and happy axies:p
Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365647626670.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365647626670.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 845
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365647642546.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365647642546.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 817
Jburns,

Looking at your pictures, it almost appears as if those stuck in the half moon shape are still in their inner membranes of the egg, that only the outer shell is gone. That would certainly account for that!

I'm under the impression that the larvae are lagging a little in development in comparison to the others. The stomach area contains the yolk, and as time progresses it gradually reduces in size.

I'm under the impression that the larvae are lagging a little in development in comparison to the others. The stomach area contains the yolk, and as time progresses it gradually reduces in size.

Oh thanks i have seen at least one of them move a couple of times,

Also they are all very dark (i have read the genetics but i cant really get my head around it:confused:) can anyone tell me....will they all be wild type like their dad?

Ended up with one viable egg that developed like yours...poor feller was born with a bent tail, still with the belly, and obviously unable to swim. :/

In this photo, from top, going clockwise - deformed egg, 2 dead, rest viable.
IMG_4043.jpg

I had quite a few in my first clutch with those big bellies, I was told it was their yolk sac and it would disappear but now I really don't think it was, mine couldn't swim other than go in circles, they wouldn't eat and I swear the "belly" just kept getting bigger on them, they eventually died. Also there were a couple that developed the issue weeks after being born but most came out of the eggs looking like that. With my other two clutches I'm culling any like that, that I see are not eating or are not moving much because I feel it's much crueller to let them starve to death, some lasted over 30 days looking like that. My second clutch didn't have many of them,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back