Illness/Sickness: Axie floating bum end up first and slightly on his side - eating fine

AxieNewbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

You probably realise i have a similar previous thread however something new is happening, they settled down lovely and stopped floating and now today my smallest axie is floating bum up first and fighting to stay down in the tank. When he stays floating at the top he floats slightly on his side.

He ate fine when i fed him some earthworm, took them from my tweezers no problem and went looking for more but is struggling to keep down in the tank. The other Axie is fine. Ive done a water change of about 25% and lowered the water level somewhat also and have now separated him temporarily in a smaller tank with much less water so he can feel the floor a bit more. But any advice please am pretty concerned about him but jot sure what to do.

This happens to my little ones occasionally. I used to move them to small tubs immediately when I saw it...but they would poop and be fine again 2 seconds after my moving them. So now I just wait a while after noticing it and they've been fine without me stressing and moving them.

(Or maybe my stressing/moving them is what makes them poop. Who knows.)

Thankyou!!!

I moved him to a smaller tank. Much lower water level, he settle down eventually and had a good poop and hes fine abd back in main tank again now. Thankyou all. Gosh these creatures can cause some worry aye!! Haha love em though

Hopefully he will pass wind shortly, he may of swallowed a bit of water or eaten a little bit too much. just keep an eye on him.

It's a bit like eating a sunday dinner too quickly then getting crampy don't panic I'm sure he'll be ok, fingers crossed for a few 'bubbles' xxx ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back