Question: Dechlorinator adding to high ammonia levels??

AxieNewbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, im having a bit of trouble with my water parameters at the moment. I have done a water change this a.m and just tested it, nitrite and nitrates are pretty much 0ppm, however the ammonia is at 4.0ppm!! Tested my normal plain tap water and zero ammonia as expected, then tested new tap water with dechlorinator added and the levls of ammonia rose to about 0.25-0.5ppm.

Is it possible that the dechlorinator is actually adding to my high tank ammonia levels and should i buy a more expensive make of it or what else could be adding please as im rather stuck and worried that its affecting my axolotls!!

Dechlorinator breaks down chloramines into ammonium ions and non-ionized ammonia. Do you let the water stand for 24-48 hours prior to putting it in your tank?

Also, what type of dechlorinator are you using?

Its veen set up for weeks but i dont use the filter very often as yet as the axies dont like it. But the tank itself has been set up for several weeks and had the filter on non stop before the axies went in so i dont know :/

The dechlorinator is um, an interpet tapsafe stuff...?

For the tank to balance you need to run the filter all of the time. If you shut if off for any extended time the beneficial bacteria dies. When you start it back up you blow out ammonia and poison the tank. If the axies don't like the filter try something else.

What type of filter is it? Have you tried a sponge filter? They don't create much of a flow. You have to make sure you clean the tank more often but it's better than high ammonia and nitrites.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back