Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible ill Tiger salamander

Giles

Reaction score
One of my Tiger salamanders has been acting odd for the past two weeks, he walks with his head down and his back end stuck in the air. At first I hadn't thought much about it as he was still active and taking food off me but in the last few days he has stopped feeding.

This maybe because I've put him in a quaratine and he's settling in. I've also let him soak in decloranated water for a bit which seemed to encouage him to open both eyes. A little bit of shed had come off in the water too.

I've also noticed there something different about his eyes, he often closes one and both seem really black. Any ideas?

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Pictures would help. I'd say his posture is a sign of stress. Head down and arched body is the (unken reflex) which is a defensive posture due to stress elements. He may do that and wave his tail or not. If it does it again avoid touching it or scaring it unless you are treating it. But you have to find out what's wrong with it 1st.

Did it posture up like this Blue Spotted Salamander here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 316

Giles

Reaction score
Is more like his bum is in the air and its walking with its head down. He has been out and about in his water bowl last night and there a lot of shed around his bowl this morning.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Does have a whitish color around the eyes which is abnormal. does it try to scratch its eyes?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And the left eye is bulging - any chance of having the animal seen by a vet who is familiar with caudates?

Giles

Reaction score
And the left eye is bulging - any chance of having the animal seen by a vet who is familiar with caudates?

Doesn't show it on the picture but both eyes are like that. My 'local' exotic vet is an hour away and hasn't got a clue with amphibians even though they wont admit it. They have cost me £100's and within a few days of coming back the phib in question usually dies :(

I'm trying salt baths atm (as per instructions for axolotls) that seem to have brought the swelling down slightly and have Furan 2 on the way as I believe it may be bacterial.

Giles

Reaction score
Humidity on the ground is 70% (using a digital hygrometer) and I'd say substrate is damp but not water logged, its well drained.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I had a snake that had similar eye issues due to the humidity being too high. Far stretch, I know, but possibly something to consider.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!