Help!! 1st baby hatched but doesnt look right and its maybe too early?!

racheljritchie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Rach
My any egg just hatched 12 days since laid . its head looks bent back and although its made an attempt at swimming it seems to be on its side? sorry the photo isn't good :-(

Attachments

• 20130412_155057.jpg
    20130412_155057.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 589
  • 20130412_155039.jpg
    20130412_155039.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 616
They'll lay on their side for the first 24 hours or so. After that, they'll start straightening out.

it has straightened out a bit and is only a little bit sideways now:rolleyes: it swims around now and again but i put some food in last night and watched.. nothing eaten so far i dont think?!
3 more hatched since yesterday tho :happy:

They won't eat for another day or two. They are still absorbing yolk sack

They won't eat for another day or two. They are still absorbing yolk sack

Just eaten today :D i thought they ate 24-48 hours after but it seems to have waited 4/5 days. its head is still small in comparison the the ones that have just hatched today/yesterday, but hopefully it will be ok, swims about or should i say darts about but it still sometimes lays on its side. :confused:

Early Hatcher's will tend to not eat longer. I've had them go up to 8 days without eating depending on how early they hatched and temp.

They will usually develop a little slower then eggs that hatch on time.
Just keep an eye on them.

You can always desperate them if they are being picked on.

update: he didnt make it.. lived aprox 3 weeks poor little baby xxx

Still have all 8 of your babies & they are doing well :cool:, they average about 3cm long now although 1 is significantly bigger than the others & 1 is a bit smaller than the others.
The second batch finished hatching a few days ago. A few eggs never developed properly, a few "newborns" were deformed and didn't survive long after hatching. I think I have about 50 babies left, but they wont sit still to be counted :D A couple aren't quite right but are managing to eat so I'll give them a chance.

Still have all 8 of your babies & they are doing well :cool:, they average about 3cm long now although 1 is significantly bigger than the others & 1 is a bit smaller than the others.
The second batch finished hatching a few days ago. A few eggs never developed properly, a few "newborns" were deformed and didn't survive long after hatching. I think I have about 50 babies left, but they wont sit still to be counted :D A couple aren't quite right but are managing to eat so I'll give them a chance.

i kept 8 of my friends eggs and they all seemed to develop great and hatched over 36 hours. but two have died this week for no reason that i can think of, they seemed healthy but have died within 2 days of each other, hopefully the other 6 make it ok.

i also have one which seems quite a bit larger than the rest, a wild one ...
my son was calling them he and she and i said why do you think she (leucitic) is a girl and he said cos she is white.... because he thought leucitic were female and wild type were male (he hasnt seen any other colour variations). but it has caught on i am finding myself calling them he and she depending on their colours!?! :rolleyes:

Haha I do exactly the same with all the babies. Almost positive that my big golden is a boy but still call her her :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back