Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Lover!

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
Hey, figured I'd take advice from the notice and introduce myself!

I've recently acquired a second-hand fish tank and spent a few weeks debating over what I wanted to put in it before deciding to stick with unique and fun critters and go for an axolotl! I've been poking around the forums and a few other websites for a few days so hopefully I can get a decent start on my tank before purchasing my new babies (I'm hoping to get two, we'll see what my husband allows and what I can find available).

Expect a few noob posts out of me as I'm a freak and need to make sure I'm doing everything right before I start, but overall this seems like a knowledgeable and helpful community!

Oleson29

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new also .. I'm actually going to get my axolotl today! I'm trying to convince my husband to let me get 2 , so we will see! Im super excited but kinda nervous about , I just want to make sure I have everything set up right and good to go. Post pics of your new critter when you get it! Have fun!

Tigermoth

Reaction score
Hi newbies (me too I joined this site only 3 days ago or so), My fiancée at first was unsure when Toothless and I moved in but he chats away to him and feeds him too these days. there are some really fantastic and knowledgeable folk on here and no question too big or small is seen as 'Nooby'. you'll even see that other halves end up wanting one too xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1