Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New owner with a question

mi55red

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new here my name is Jorge and am from the sunny UK I am just about to get my first axolotl ,I have kept tropical fish for several years so know some of the basics and have been researching for the past year ...

questions though ..I want to make a waterfall effect and wondered what was the best plants to use in such low light and cool water I have also a blue slate chippings substrate which are around 2" in size so will live plants be ok in that

any help would be greatly appreciated

asfouts

Reaction score
Hmmm I was surprised to come back to this thread and find noone answered your question.

There are a handful of plants that can live in cold water and have low light. Species that come to mind are water lillies, aponogeton, water onion (crinum natans?), eurasian milfoil, and I dont know about cold water but java ferns and mosses are quite hardy plants. Microsword can also tolerate cold water to a degree as well. There are a number of other plants that do well.

Im not sure about the substrate you mentioned, but if its void of nutrients you might want to use root fertilizers.

Also did you have a question about how to construct a waterfall? Or was that just mentioned

Mortimer

Reaction score
Hi there! Just read your post and have a couple suggestions. If I were you, I wouldn't use the substrate you mentioned. It could be dangerous for your axolotl. I also would not use any type of fertilizer, as it is my understanding that it can be toxic to axolotls because their skin is so permeable.

My live plants do pretty well without fertilizer. :)

Sharon

Mortimer

Reaction score
Also, could you explain more about the waterfall effect you are going for? The water level should be all the way to the top (or close to it) with axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1