Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slow growth rate

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I brought home 2 axolotl about 2 weeks ago and so far my leucistic has almost doubled in size and definitely bulked. My melanoid however is eating well ( very round tummy) and is looking very healthy he just isn't really growing.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
In the majority % , Melanoid's are slow growers.
Mine rarely beat out the other phenotypes in a growth match.
Though they always seem to have the fattest bellies lol

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Thats really weird because my leucistics in my baych of babies are slow growers. I have two tiny melanoids still but the rest of my melanoids are towering over the rest! They are huge.

As far as my wild type juveniles he is growing faster then my leucie. Though my leucie is closer in size then it use to be. At least they are okay in a tank together

Mortimer

Reaction score
My melanoid started eating more and growing more once they were separated. I think the leucistic's presence was stressing him out. Now that they are more similar in size, they are fine together (and both eating well).

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Well both have very full bellies but still no sign of growth from the melanoid

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
one is 3 inches one is 1 1/2 inches and yes they have been separated

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1