Tail rot or something?

Delzoun

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to post a picture soon
It seems like my axolotl has tail rot or fin rot or whatever it is called. When I purchased him he had a fungus, I wasn't sure where, but the store owner said it did. I never really got the chance to ask him where it was. But I guessed it was on his legs, because I saw some there. I treated him for a week, additional for when they treated him in the store. I saw extra skin on the end of my axie's tail, and I thought he was just growing, and the skin was going to turn harder and become real skin or something. So I let it be and now about 3 months later, I see that the flap of skin has become darker and looks like some kind of fungus. Thank you if you know what is going on and if I should use any medicines for it.:wacko: Btw, my tank is fully clean so it is not dirt.
Thank you,
Dan

Nvm, Figured it out. I hope.

Attachments

• 100_4174.jpg
    100_4174.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 556
Why in the world would you purchase an axolotl with a fungus? And i'm wondering what you treated this fungus with and what you were thinking to treat the "tail rot" with.. Because they are not fish and using fish chemicals can be very bad considering axolotls have SKIN rather than scales meaning it is much more permeable.
I'm not sure if other members would suggest one or the other or both, but when mine showed signs of fungus, i fridged her and didn't need to do any salt baths.

Fridging tutorial:http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html
Salt bath tutorial: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back