Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I need your help/advice.

Mortimer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm about to be posting three picture-heavy and fairly detailed threads in this section after I post this. I wanted to give you some background prior to posting them, and I didn't want each axolotl to be in the same thread because it might get too confusing for me!

So I met someone on this site (n7megan) who was asking a question about her little guy swimming a lot. It turns out that n7megan and I live less than 5 minutes from each other (!), so I was able to test her tank's water (which she had been unable to do up until that point). After testing the water, we made the decision to get her little guy (5" wildtype) out of there asap, so I brought him home with me and put him in aged, treated, cool tap water in a little tub. I talked to n7megan later that evening, and it turns out that there are several others in her residence hall on campus who have axolotls whose water has not been tested. So, I went back yesterday and tested the water of two other tanks--they were both in bad shape --ammonia and or nitrite off the chart. Since they did not have any treated water to put them in, I took them with me as well. (I'm afraid they thought I was stealing their babies....hahaha....I was also afraid I was going to end up with a million axolotls!) ;)

Yesterday, we went over the supplies that they would need to buy. They bought a few buckets, turkey basters, and plastic tubs. The plan is that as soon as their water has aged for a day or two, I will bring their babies back and they can start doing the 100% daily water changes until their tanks have completed cycling. (I'm testing their water tomorrow to see if there has been any progress. I also put one of my sponge filters from an established tank in n7megan's tank...hopefully that will help.)

Until today, each of the little three axies that I'm watching have been eating ravenousless (I've switched them to live black worms, which I feed my guys) and seemed healthy (except for ammonia burns on one of them and missing legs on another). BUT....when I woke up this morning, I went to feed them and Grep (the adorable wildtype) was in bad (BAD) shape. I was sure he was going to die. He seems to be doing a little better now, but I still need to describe how I found him to better understand what I need to be doing.

Thanks for reading and any input you may have. The threads will be titled Grep, Voltaire, and Flick. Grep is most urgent, then Voltaire, and then Flick (I think Flick is okay...I just want to make sure he is healing properly as he is regenerating his front two arms/legs).

Here goes.....

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1