Drowned newt

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
Country
United States
This morning, I woke up to tragically find my Taricha torosa, Yoda, apparently drowned underwater in a homemade snail trap I made. I immediatly took him out and upon coming into contact with air, he made a gulp, but continued to remain limb and unresponsive. Upon trying to do gentle CPR (non-mouth to mouth, of course) he continued to occasionally gulp as if swallowing food. He is now at home in a container filled with damp moss with an ice pack underneath, showing slight muscle movement in response to moving the container. I unfortuantly had to leave for my classes and will check on him when I return home.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm theorizing that he went into some sort of coma and he might have been breathing through his skin (he always needed to rise for air, though, so I know it is not sufficient)

Why would you have a snail trap?

He would need to come to the surface eventually

I just came home and he made a full recovery!! This morning he was borderline dead, and now its as if nothing happened! Truely amazing!

I had a snail trap to manage a red ramshorn snail population that has exploded out of control. I'm going to put mesh over the trap so i can at least capture the smaller snails, but I'm just glad he pulled through.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back