My Eggs!

Justine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got some axolotl eggs and now have two very nicely developing families! The dark ones are from a melanoid/wildtype pairing, and the white are form a golden albino/melanoid pairing. You can just about see some dark spots on a few of the white eggs, and some of the dark ones look darker so they may be black melanoid. They are kept separate and the photos show the development of 6 days.

Attachments

• axolotl development.jpg
    axolotl development.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 735
Actually you wont be able to see colors until after they hatch. A few days before they hatch you will be able to tell light/dark and black/white eyes but other then if its albino or not albino their colors change so dramatically as they get older that you wont be able to say what is what till they start gettin their limbs.
The colors you see are just from them developing. Its pretty cool :)

Good luck and keep us updated on all your little ones :)

A few of the embryos are turning really black now and some are pure white, is this not an indication of colouration? The ones that have black on them also have black eyes so are definitely not the golden albino's.

Attachments

• DSC_0503.jpg
    DSC_0503.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 297
Wow you really can see!

My leucistics are really dark so i didnt really see much difference in colors till right before they hatched. Mine were not that white! Haha

Now you can really tell light/dark!

I have some hatchlings in my wildtype/melanoid tupperware!! So excited:)

Attachments

• DSC_0514.jpg
    DSC_0514.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 260
Only three unhatched now, transferred them to a handy seperated container so ensure they all get enough food when they have finished the yolk in their bellys

Attachments

• DSC_0518.jpg
    DSC_0518.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 320
It's about 4 and a half inches deep, not filled to the top in the picture as I was in the middle of transferring the hatchlings and then topped it up, so I'd say they're in about 4 inches of water at the moment; is that too shallow? When I raised my axolotl hatchling which is now a year old I had him in similar water depth for about a week or 2, then it got deeper with the bigger live food. Got lots of other deeper tupperware I can transfer them into though!

So cute!
28 wildtype/melanoid hatched, 3 golden albino and 7 melanoid:)

Attachments

• DSC_0532.jpg
    DSC_0532.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 262
hi justine, i am aware that this is quite an old post but was wondering if i could ask some advice? what did you feed your hatchlings?
my pair have just laid eggs and im really unsure of what to do. firstly as i thought they were both males!

ive separated the eggs into a small tank.

all advice welcome.

thank you.

Hi Karena so sorry for the late reply I have been without web access all week. I fed my babies live daphnia, ordered from the web. There are lots of more experienced people on the forums here though who will guide you better - this is my first time raising more than one! I had a bit of a nightmare a week or more ago, all the daphnia arrived dead! So I chopped bloodworms up really small with a scalpel and used a pipette to drop them over the heads of the babies, and luckily they all ate it, so crisis averted. Just took two hours of focused feeding! They're back on daphnia now but still give them bloodworm sometimes, and are growing their arms nicely. Had 3 deaths out of 40 babies which is a shame, and two are not going to make it from the albino batch as they are physically disabled. I found the ratio of viable fry in both batches very interested, out of ten fry from albino/black melanoid parents, two are deformed, and out of 28 wildtype/melanoid fry only one was deformed. Hope your babies are doing well:)

Oh and I now have only one golden albino, and the other albino seems to be a white melanoid as it has no irridophores and no shiny rings around it's eyes.

Cool my axies laid theres at lunch time

Attachments

• 1367956927348.jpg
    1367956927348.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 1367956886161.jpg
    1367956886161.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 1367956842239.jpg
    1367956842239.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 203
I'm afraid I'm in London so I wouldn't know :)

Here are some pics of my developing brood;

The one of the group is the albino/melanoid batch, does anyone think I have any leucistics in there or will the ones with black on them grow to show they are black melanoids? Also added some pics of my wildtype/melanoid bunch.

Attachments

• axieabies.jpg
    axieabies.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC_0574.jpg
    DSC_0574.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0569.jpg
    DSC_0569.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 185
Yeah, I would like to find out too.. I have one I got allready hatched from a lady, and it looks like one of the lighter ones you have, with minimal spots, and black eyes.

The difference between my wildtype and my leucistics became apparent quite early on, just a few days after hatching. Although they all had similar markings the leucistics quickly became much lighter, and their stomach after eating was far more noticeable than with the wildtypes.

Attachments

• 2013-04-05 09.56.35.jpg
    2013-04-05 09.56.35.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 223
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back