Baby had red dot between eyes, not eating now.

MEEX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out of my 100ish Wildtype young I've got one that's lighter than all the others, and whilst I don't think it's anything special it did make him stand out.

He had a red dot between his eyes when he was younger (1st pic), which I took to be internal bleeding, but he didn't seem to mind, and that seems to have gone.
The photo was taken about a week ago, and whilst all his siblings have grown since then he's stayed that size, and even though I've put him on his own I haven't seen him eat.

Would he still be alive after a month if he wasn't getting anything at all?

Attachments

• Light Wildtype (1).jpg
    Light Wildtype (1).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 6,844
  • CIMG3943.jpg
    CIMG3943.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 577
  • CIMG3945.jpg
    CIMG3945.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 802
He had to have been eating at least a little to stay alive this long. How is he doing now?

He's still alive, but he's still tiny. He does have front stubs, but only just - whereas the others have fingers (front toes?) now. Like you said, he must be getting something, maybe even if it's only what swims into his mouth? :confused:

I still haven't seen him eat for sure, and when he floats around he often lands on his back and stays that way, so of course I think he died every time.

All the others are on frozen food now but I was keeping a Brine Shrimp hatchery going just for him - until I knocked it over today. Typically, this was the first time I only had the one running. :(
I got another going straight away, I just hope he is going to hang in there until it's ready, or go for the frozen before then. As he's now the only one I'm interested in keeping I'll even try hand feeding!
My other worry is that I'll disturb him if the frozen makes a mess, and that would use his energy up.

I've been thinking about the internal bleeding (if that's what it was, it was a red dot that started high, moved between his eyes and then disappeared) and I was wondering - how would you tell if an axolotl was brain damaged? *Fights urge to use the crazy smiley*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back