Big size differences. Normal or mutant? ;)

karipatra

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone!

So quick question re: the huge size discrepancy with my babies.
The 2 that hatched the same day are quite different in size.

My big one, which I've changed the name to Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors since she's always FEED ME< FEED ME NOW!, is close to 2 1/2 inches, but the one that hatched the same day she did is only 1 3/4 inches long. And the ones I cut out of the eggs are only 1 1/2 inches long.

Is this type of size range normal in a batch? Everyone eats very well and until they're full...although Audrey acts like she's never full.

Not worried, just wondering if I'm going to have a 3 foot mutant axie on my hands. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2793 (2).jpg
    IMG_2793 (2).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 402
Soon she'll demand sacrifices of small dogs and neighborhood children.

It's normal to have a large range of sizes. That's why you have to start separating them by size, so the little ones don't get eaten by siblings.

Yes, it would have to be something like that, as I like my dentist too much to feed him to her. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back