Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axoltol fungal disease?

Luna

Reaction score
My black axolotl has a little slimy substance covering nearly all of its body. It is very thin and will come off very easily as a touched her tail and some fell off. This also seems to be at the back of my filter when I clean it. I was wondering if it was a fungal disease or just slime. I would put up pictures but you cant really see it in the pictures.
Thank you :)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Your axxie is probably shedding his skin. This can be completely normal or caused by outside stressors. Have you checked your parameters, and are they normal? Have you added any new chemicals or medicines? Does he have any blisters or bumps? Also, is the substance clear like cellophane or is it white? If it's clear it's probably his slime coat. If not it's a fungal infection.

There's a forum here dealing with the same complaint: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...l/90379-axolotl-shedding-skin-slime-coat.html

If you think your axxie may be stressed out I'd move him to a tub or smaller tank of fresh dechlorinated water and change it daily. I know it's a lot of work (I'm doing the same at the moment) but if it's the water chemistry it may be your best bet. You can also give him a soothing tea bath to help his skin but you may not need to if it's a straight skin shed - some amphibians really do just shed their skin. But it's worth checking out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1