Tiger Morphing Help, Need Quick Advice!.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aaron
So i went to the petstore to get my new Tiger Salamander and, they said he was newly morphed. So after i got him and got in the car, i noticed that His eyes were like terrestrials and his Gills still had the Smallest Nubs like almost non- Existent, but he still had like Webbing on his tail. His bad legs had no webbing on his toes and he tried to crawl out of the water in the bad sticking his entire head out a lot. So i dont think i should put him in his terrestrial setup(pics attached) So should i put him in a bucket with a turtle dock or put a tub of water in the terrestrial setup. Because in the store the tigers were always in a really shallow water tank.. not soil or anything.. so What should i do?

Pics of Salamander Attached.

Thanks for all your help ;D

If You Can Tell What Type It it That Would Be Great :D

Attachments

• 20130417_110701.jpg
    20130417_110701.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 250
  • 20130417_110646.jpg
    20130417_110646.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 207
  • 20130417_110639.jpg
    20130417_110639.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20130414_194105_resized.jpg
    IMG_20130414_194105_resized.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20130414_194055.jpg
    IMG_20130414_194055.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 189
You are correct, it isn't quite ready for the terrestrial setup. Set up a shallow tub of water with lots of rocks or other platforms for him to get out. Be very careful about water quality. Use dechlorinator and don't leave any uneaten food in the water. Make sure it's escape-proof. Maybe you know all that, but just being on the safe side.

You are correct, it isn't quite ready for the terrestrial setup. Set up a shallow tub of water with lots of rocks or other platforms for him to get out. Be very careful about water quality. Use dechlorinator and don't leave any uneaten food in the water. Make sure it's escape-proof. Maybe you know all that, but just being on the safe side.
Thanks, What Should The Water Be In Inches Like approx?

2 or 3 inches should be fine. It will probably morph completely in less than a week.

Pics of My Tiger Larvae as of Right Now, Lowered the Water to About 3 Inches. Sorry about the cloudiness but I Put a slope of sand.. haha cant wait till he morphs, Updates to come :D

Attachments

• 20130419_153736.jpg
    20130419_153736.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 20130419_153642.jpg
    20130419_153642.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 20130419_153737.jpg
    20130419_153737.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 199
So my larvae tiger Salamander decides to go fully out of the water but doesnt look ready like at all still has quite a bit of tail(as far as i know) and some gill nubs left and his legs idk if they can support him on land yet even tho he manages to crawl up my sand ramp to the very edge of the tank and i dont think he has eyelids yet or ive just never seen him blink, his eyes arent like an Axolotl or a Younger TigerSalLarvae Theyre Like Bulged but not in a bad way anyway i shoudnt tank him out yet right?

He was out for about a minute, but then i got scared he was gonna dry out because he still had nubs(not really any change from those other pics) so i scared him back in the water o3o

Don't worry about him drying out, unless your land area is not damp. Put some damp moss or something similar ont he land area to prevent drying out if you are worried.

Best thing is to let him come out of the water in his own time, and leave him in a bit of peace and quiet for a week to fully morph and settle before you move him anywhere. Maybe provide a hide on the land area with some damp moss for him to hide in. Morphing is a stressful time and the animal will be weary of predation. Drop the water level too to prevent drowning.

Move him to his permanent land enclosure once he starts to move around a bit and take food in his current enclosure (he does look like he needs a little fattening up).

He Eats Red Wigglers Regularly, How Much Should I Feed Him? Like How Much Everyday or Every other day? Is it okay to Feed him Live Red Wigglers, some places ive read that the stuff that they expel could be toxic to amphibians..

Live wigglers are fine; some just find the defensive secretions distasteful. If he's eating every day, probably a wiggler or 2 a day should be fine. He'll probably stop eating for a bit after going terrestrial so the more weight he has, the better.

Should i clean the water right after he ate because i saw some of that 'Fluid(lol)' After he was eaten.

That's a good time. Just remember that no herp alive has ever resisted the urge to poop in a freshly cleaned water dish.

Well its been a week tomorrow, Even though you guys said by now i guess he wants to take his time morphing

His Water Level is Pretty Low 1.5-2 inches, Nice Sand Ramp and Turtle Dock(I Keep The Turtle Dock Moist Usually) He Was On The Dock 3 Times today and At Least Once(On Sand) When i Was At School. He Likes the Sand Ramp a Lot More Than The Dock Though, He usually likes to go under the dock to hide.

I Cleaned Out His Water Today and He Ate 2 Red Wigglers ^-^

Most of the bottom portion of the tail is gone just a little more, some top tail left and dont really see much or any change in gills, he can be on moist land on a while though.

Any assumptions on when he should be done would be well appreciated(i just wanna see his progress by the time specified haha)

I'll Upload Pictures When I Get The Chance. Cant wait till he morphs and can use his Terrestrial setup, i have so many aquariums and no other terrariums xD

Some Pics.

Attachments

• Snapchat-9781_resized.jpg
    Snapchat-9781_resized.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 284
  • Snapchat-2347_resized.jpg
    Snapchat-2347_resized.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Snapchat-6668_resized.jpg
    Snapchat-6668_resized.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 246
He's taking his sweet time!

As long as he's eating, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep feeding him as much as you can to put on as much weight as possible. Try introducing some waxworms. They're nice and fatty.

What's your land setup like? Do you have any hides?

Well he has like something dark in the water but not on land, should i put one on land? the Aquatic Setup had a Turtle Dock and a Sand Slope, He Was Lying Down On It This Morning Haha. I also have ZooMed 'Terrerium Moss' Which is Spaghum Moss. But I Dont USe It Anywhere. Should I Put a Hide On The Moist Sand Part? Use The Spahgum Moss? And He Usually Eats 1 Red Wiggler a Day Sometimes 2. The Only Worms i Can Find Here are Night Crawlers, Red Wigglers. I Can Look at More places Though If I Have To. Any Advice Would Really Help!

I think if you put a couple hides on the land, it may encourage him.

Skip sphagnum, it's no good for salamanders. It's usually pretty acidic.

Walmart usually has waxworms in the sporting goods dept. Many gas stations carry bait too, especially if you're near a big lake or river. If you can't find them, no big deal. They're just nice to put weight on quickly.

Haha Thanks for all your help!
Thats The reason the Spaghum isnt In The Terrestrial Setup, i read it could be acidic.

Anyway, I'll Put Some Hides on The Land Portion, and Check Walmart and One Petstore i forgot to check haha.
Anyway Thanks.

Are Canadian Night Crawlers Okay For The Tiger? Like If Cut Up Of Course

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back