Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Raising young in a tank

thadious

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I want to say first off, I enjoy reading all your threads and post. You all are very helpful. With that being said here is my question or poll. I am raising young from eggs but now that they are almost an inch long I wonder if I could put them into a small aquarium say a 10 gallon, I was thinking of running a small filter but putting a sponge or very fine net around the pick up of the filter. Right now I have them all in tupperware containers but doing container and water chances twice a day can get overbearing by myself when I work third shift. I really would like to see how others do their young, wether its in tupperware or other container. No information is bad info when learning a new thing. Thanks for your info

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Tapatalk 2

karipatra

Reaction score
Hey there! :D

First off, welcome to the forum. I am a newish member and everyone has been great with answering questions, etc. :eek:

I have mine in Tupperware containers, and they are all doing well. I have the 2 biggest separated out and the other 6 are paired up according to size. My biggest axie baby is 2 1/2 inches, the smallest is 1 1/4 inches.

I only do a water change once a day, partial one day, full change the next. So maybe that would help as far as work load. :eek:

tigmades

Reaction score
I raised some eggs (most hatched over night) as well as some juveniles.

Hopefully you can visit this link (it's my local fish forum site that I updated while raising my little ones :) ) - i"m pretty sure it's accessible to guests!

Raising Axolotls blog!

thadious

Reaction score
I wish I could get my 13 year old son interested in it too but all he likes is video games lol. Thanks for the input

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Tapatalk 2

EasternNewtDude

Reaction score
heyalls! i've raised a couple of baby marbled newt larva and hatched some native MD salamander larvae. I don't think this counts, but I've hatched and raied contless tadpoles in a tank. :grin:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!