Forked gills

Garrettb

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey, i'm very new to the Axolotl game as well as having fish in general. Since buying one axie to upgrading my tank size and adding another one within a matter of Weeks, I've become hooked. I notice from the pics I've seen, all your axis have nice straight gills. My golden girl, Sarah (my daughters aren't real imaginativd with names, lol) has a fork in her middle left gill. Can anyone tell me if its normal, or if its something that may change with good old tlc?
I'm having trouble uploading a pic to add to the thread, but will as soon as I can work it out..

I hope I have added this in the right spot.
Thanks in advance,
Garrett

No need to worry, it's normal. Most often, forked gills occur when they regenerate after being damaged or nipped. It happens with other limbs too, like toes/feet. My wild type has a forked gill and 3 toes instead of 5 on its hind leg.

Meet wooper, he has unusual gills on his right hand side. When I got him he had no gills at all. He had been kept in a tropical set up so I think he lost his gills through the heat and also fast running water. They have grown back in an unusual shape. I think it gives him character :D

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 825
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back