Finally got permission from the hubby... new fire salamander on the way!

Lixra

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Colleen
As the title says, I got the husband to fold (I worked my charm!) so I'll be picking up a new fire salamander at the end of June at the Doncaster Breeder's Expo in the UK.

Now, I kept one of these little guys when I lived in the States, however that was about 7 years ago, so in regards to their care I'm sure some things have changed. But I do have two months to get things sorted, which is plenty of time :)

Here's the list I have in the works for him/her:

-18L RUB (Really Useful Box - a lot of keepers in the UK use these instead of glass tanks as they're very economical and ventilation holes are quite easy to drill in the top and/or sides. I keep my Pacman frogs and snails in these, species like the crested gecko and tree frogs I do keep in Exo Terras just because the height is more important and the RUBs are quite awkward to use standing on the side, but they're great for terrestrial species. The 18L has the same floor space as a 18" Exo Terra cube, For the adult size I'll be using a 33L one (28"x18"x6").

-Eco Earth Substrate, hold humidity well, I use this substrate for the Pacman Frogs, Crested Gecko and Snails, easy to burrow in as well. Not sure about adding sphagnum moss to the mix, so not sure if it's a yea or nay on that one.

-Various hiding shelters

- Large, shallow water dish

- Hygrometer (Temperature and Humidity Gage - Digital)

-Vinyl gloves (for handling purposes on cleaning days)

As far as a staple food what do you guys recommend? In the UK we have crickets, mealworms, locusts and waxworms readily available (although the latter, the "squirming twinkies" I'd be tempted to stay away from), as well as earthworms occasionally.

Keeping this guy cool also shouldn't be a problem, as we tend to have cool summers in the UK (our average for summer is about 65 F, although we do get the occasional "heat wave" where temperatures soar into the low 70s). We have a room in the house that is kept cooler than others (there's also no central heating in there as well) so this is where he will probably live.

Think that's about everything that I can think of, if I left anything out or you guys have any other suggestions, feel free to add :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back