When can they be housed together?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I have two juveniles that are 4.5 inches currently in a divided 10 gallon tank. My other axolotl is 6 inches long and he's alone in a 40 gallon.

I want to give my juveniles more room, as they love to swim and are very curious.

I was hoping to divide my 40 gallon, and have my two juveniles on one side, and my bigger guy on the other.

I have plenty of hides to go around, as well as plenty of fake plants.

Do you think my juveniles are still too little to be together? I would be sure to feed them on opposite sides of the area.

Thanks folks.

If they are both the same size, they should be fine. Mine haven't had any problems--they've been together since they were about 4". I'd just watch them pretty closely at first just to be safe.

One is wild type, the other is leucistic. I gave it a try, and yes, my wild type is more "aggressive" there are little nips but it doesn't appear anything more than curiosity. I'll keep an eye on them, if I see anything that worries me, I'm prepared to separate them immediately. Though I'm crossing my fingers that they'll get used to each other.

I recently put my two newer juvies (leucistic and wild type) in with my oldest wildtype, my wild type is slightly bigger than the two of them, but not massively. I've noticed that the two littler ones are bolder and my bigger wild type swims away from them if they get too near, he's a scaredy cat! Haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back