Eggs not a lot of jelly...is that bad?

racheljritchie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Rach
I have got some eggs from a friend of a friend. they look normal but there doesn't appear to be a jelly coating they just slipped off the plant with no effort. when my ax olotl laid eggs it was like they were glued on and thick jelly coated the eggs. my question is what is normal?

this is a pic of the new eggs its not great i am afraid. they do look as though they are developing as they had the cross shape on the top that i have seen before in photos of the stages of development . will it matter that they dont have a lot of jelly? Thanks:confused:

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 606
just a tiny bit, mine had a thick coating about 4-5mm around the egg this has maybe 1mm very little. i have drawn a diagram ...its not good . i am sorry:( but its the best i can describe and i probably havent used the tecnical terms (well i know i havent!:blush:)

The pic with the plant etc is a photo of my eggs where you can see the thick jelly around the egg. but as this was the only clutch my axolotl has had i dont have any comparison of what is normal?

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,589
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 561
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 511
I would say they should be fine :D I don't know the technical term either ;)

If you look at the middle pic i can see an egg thats got a bit of dirt stuck round it, the jelly look reasonably thick there, as long as they are covered and not popping out the sack then im sure they will be fine :) it might just be really clear jelly and you cant see as easily?
I dunno :O Im no expert :)

Some jelly sacs can vary in size, when they are newly laid the jelly is more compact, it also depends on the water and how old the female was. the older the jelly the more water it swells with too. The eggs look bright and from what I can tell the jelly looks ok I'm sure you'll get some lovely little swimmers shortly xxx :wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back