Illness/Sickness: Perhaps a sick newt

Derekjo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought this newt yesterday like he looks in the picture. I don't think its bloat because only his tongue or lower jaw is swollen, although he does look a little fatter than normal. Is he sick??? What should i do??

Attachments

• IMG_20130417_230943_272.jpg
    IMG_20130417_230943_272.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 283
I'm not sure about the swollen mouth, but the amount of water in that tank should be much higher. Fire-belly newts are aquatic, so they appreciate a high volume of water.

That picture doesn't show the amount of water in my tank, but Its more than 2/3 Water

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Derekjo,

It looks very similar to how one of my newts looked just after I bought it, although it seems a lot more swollen. With mine his throat was throbbing and he wasn't very energetic and was out of the water a lot, after about a few weeks it settled down.

I wonder if it's stress related or perhaps a sign of mild infection?

Is he eating?

Fire belly newts are often imported in poor health. If they show signs of infection, you should consult a vet. There isn't much you can do on your own.

Im Not Sure If Hes Eating I Do PuT Frozen Bloodworms In And They Are Usually Gone By The End Of The Night But Im Not Sure If HeTakes Part In TheFeeding Feast. But He Is Quite Active Which Seems Like A Good Thing.I Find Him All Over The Tank And In The Water.

I question it's ability to eat with a mouth that swollen. And high activity isn't normal for most salamanders. Is he constantly swimming?

I think the same thing. I put a couple blood worms next to him and i turned away for a couple minutes and they were gone, but it could have been a other newt next to him but im not sure. He's not constantly swimming but hes not completely inactive. He acts like any of my other newts. Ill either find him basking with his newt friends or I'll find him in the water just hanging out on a plant or roaming the bottom of the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back