Cold water 4-8degrees Celsius

Bellapunx

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi. I am worried that the water in my tank is too cold for the axies. It's autumn here and will only get colder for the next few months. The water temp has been 9C and is down to 4C. Should I heat the water?

That might be a little cold. Isnt a fridge 5 celcious? Have you tried googling it? :)

Axolotl can be happy at very low temperatures.
You will find they are less inclined to eat, and may not feed at all. I personally would keep a close eye on their body condition. If you think they are losing weight it may be worth adding a heater to raise the water temperature to maybe 10 degrees Celcius.

My larvae are between 4 and 7c and are doing fine.

Thanks. Google, axolotl.org Caudata all say temp should be 15-17 ish. My axies are hungry and fat. Thanks all ;)

Mine have just spent the winter in the outhouse and the water was cold! It didn't get to freezing, but went down to 4ish. However they ate just as much as they normally do and are still fat little piggies :) Obviously weren't phased by it at all! Surprisingly some of the plants survived too!

Thanks. Google, axolotl.org Caudata all say temp should be 15-17 ish. My axies are hungry and fat. Thanks all ;)

That's a good ideal summer temperature. Animals need seasonal variation too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back