When can I add sand?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
The title pretty much says it all ... I have a 1 1/2 inch melanoid and a 3 inch leucistic, and due to their small sizes I have been avoiding substrate. How big do they have to be before I add their playsand?

I would Wait until they are around 3 1/2 to 4 inches from head to tail.

Just learning about axies atm. I've read that sand is okay to use (and that they might prefer it) but hadn't read anything about needing to wait. Would someone mind explaining why? Or does it just have to do with the grain size being a concern just like gravel for larger axies?

with a small size they can't pass it as easily so it may cause impaction.

Even though sand is very small and safe for adult axolotl, putting it in a new borns tank poses the same threat as putting small stones in a adult tanks.

Even though sand is very small and safe for adult axolotl, putting it in a new borns tank poses the same threat as putting small stones in a adult tanks.

Well said.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back