Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gold x Gold breeding

Quentari

Reaction score
So I've been told I'm not allowed to buy any more axolotls, so I have to wait for mine to lay eggs. Which is fine, I can wait. I do want a white albino though.

So I have two golden axolotl's and it's looking like they MIGHT be different genders, so when they're old enough I plan to try and breed them, what are the chances of them having a white albino offspring? Are there any colourations that they are more/less likely to have because they are both golden albino's??

Also hoping the future axie babies inherit their mothers good looks, one of my goldens are SIGNIFICANTLY better looking lol. Anyway I was mostly just curious.

Neil C

Reaction score
You will get a lot of golden albino babies out of this pairing with hopefully a few other colours thrown in for good measure. The only colour I believe you won't get is wildtype. White albino are cetainly a good possibility.

Regards Neil

RenitaO

Reaction score
That is so exciting! If you end up getting eggs, please contact me :) I've always wanted a golden type. We could even trade eggs someday. I have a leucistic and a glowing type leucistic.

Quentari

Reaction score
That is so exciting! If you end up getting eggs, please contact me :) I've always wanted a golden type. We could even trade eggs someday. I have a leucistic and a glowing type leucistic.

I'd be selling most of my eggs when they do breed, but I don't know the laws of posting eggs from Australia to the US! I know you wouldn't be able to ship any in do to our laws (although I do want a glowing one, mainly for the bragging rights lol)

Quentari

Reaction score
You will get a lot of golden albino babies out of this pairing with hopefully a few other colours thrown in for good measure. The only colour I believe you won't get is wildtype. White albino are cetainly a good possibility.

Regards Neil

Thats fantastic! now to play the waiting game for the next 6 months or so till they're old enough to TRY breeding lol

RenitaO

Reaction score
I'd be selling most of my eggs when they do breed, but I don't know the laws of posting eggs from Australia to the US! I know you wouldn't be able to ship any in do to our laws (although I do want a glowing one, mainly for the bragging rights lol)

Oh darn! I didn't pay attention to what country you were in lol. Well, hopefully one day I'll get a gold and you'll get a glowing :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You'll only get white albinos if both of your axolotls are recessive for leucistic.

Otherwise, depending on what recessive genes they have, you'll get all golden albinos.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1