Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you actually put a axie into a new tank for the first time

Missamyjane

Reaction score
Right here goes sorry if this all sounds like a broken record

How do you actually place a axie into a tank for the first time

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Hey, don't worry! Most of us (me included!) have also had to ask this question at some point.

Now, first things first, what do you know about cycling, and is the tank you hope to put your axxie into cycled? This is vitally important. An uncycled tank can make your axolotl very poorly, so that's the first step.

Missamyjane

Reaction score
Yeh I know about cycling I have the api fresh water master kit not the strips I'm just waiting on my tank and soon as I have that I'll crack on x I'm glad I fount this forum otherwise I wouldn't have done a tank cycle x the axie im buying from a friend were only hatched last week so to tiddly for me xx so I'm hoping the tank would have cycled completely before there ready to go if hot I know she's keeping one back for me x

layna

Reaction score
Are you collecting your axie in a tub? i got mine in a tub and just left the tub next to the tank until they were the same temp (i.e the little tub had warmed up) then i slowly put the tub in the tank until they swam out :)

layna

Reaction score
I would assume so, or similar. Your not supposed to just dump them in because of the temperature difference so if the temp is the same then they can go in :D

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I didn't know about cycling and when I put my axxie in she panicked, luckily another member advised me to move her while I cycled. It can take up to a month, but with Quick Start and some substrate from an established tank, mine's looking like it's doing good within 2 weeks.

Sounds like you've got the cycling sorted. If I may I would recommend the API Freshwater Test Liquid Kit; a few members have warned me the strips aren't as good. What's your filtration, substrate, etc going to be?

snuggly time

Reaction score
If it's in a tub wait for the temperature to warm or cool the same as your tank. If you have them in a bag you can float them in the tank for the temperature to even out. Then add some tank water, a few mins later let them leave the bag. Just like fish.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1