Question: Newbie: Tank Requirements for common newt

nikkistam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I joined this site about a week ago. My husband and I rescued a Newt from a building site last September as a baby. He is now getting quite big and strong. I feed him mainly on live Bloodworms and Silkworms which he loves and seems to be doing the trick anyway. I am in the process of setting up a new bigger tank for him. I have an old fish tank which i have filled with about 2-3 gallons of water, I have a massive stone in the middle, some plastic plants for him to climb on, a water filter (do i still put carbon in it? like you would with fish?) some drift wood and his feeding bowl under which he normally sleeps. There will be roughly Half land space to water. I wanted to put some soil at the bottom of the tank but am slightly confused about which type of soil, how much, should it be changed regularly, would small stones work just as well? I also have some moss growing in my garden, was thinking of attaching it to some wood and putting that under the water?

Really i guess i'm looking for any tips or advice i can get. I do keep tropical fish and I have 2 lizards so i'm aware of specific requirements for certain animals, as i have never kept newts before i want to make sure i'm doing it correct.

Many thanks in advance,

Nikki and Ridley the Newt.

Hi Nikki,

Do you have any photos to help ID the species of the newt? Different species have different husbandry requirements, but it sounds like you're off to a good start.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back