Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby stopped growing!!! :/

froggybabe04

Reaction score
So I have 9 axolotls, they are about 3 months old, and about 3-4 inches, well 8 of the nine are. The 9th one is not even an inch long. :( He doesn't seem sick, but he doesn't eat as good as the other 8 did at that size. his tummy seems to look kind of full all of the time. He just seems like he literally stopped growing. Has any one else gone through this, what could be wrong with him? I can get a picture of him if a visual will help!

nephiarising

Reaction score
A picture would be very helpful, as would a picture of one of your healthy babies for comparison. How long has his behavior been different? What kind of substrate are they on and what are you feeding them?

froggybabe04

Reaction score
I have the 8 in a tank with a bare bottom. My little guy is still in a tupperware container! He has been like this at least a few weeks, I don't remember exactly when, But he has all four of his legs! I will go get that picture right now! :)

froggybabe04

Reaction score
There are the pictures, they wereall taken today!

I spoil all my animals, they have their space! :)

Attachments

• 20130421_180926.jpg
    20130421_180926.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 602
  • 20130421_104135.jpg
    20130421_104135.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 489
  • 20130421_101646.jpg
    20130421_101646.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 751

froggybabe04

Reaction score
As I said in my first post he is eating just not as well as the others did when they were that size.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I have one that i think may end up like this as well. Mine is smaller then yours but my other ones are 2"+ now.
I have a feeling its genetic and its caused by not enough growth hormone. Unfurtunately i have not found much on why some grow and some dont. Mine is thriving, i mean getting his back limbs in, eating fine(though its a lot less then the bigger ones:p) i make sure his tummy is nice and full everyday. It only became apparent when the others one had a growth spurt and he didnt.
He may keep growing he may not. He might just develop a loottt slower then the rest. Im not sure how the outcome is going to be like but im curious.

Morrison

Reaction score
He definitely has a full belly in the last two pics. I think it's something genetic. I've had a lot of young axies lately. Some of them turned out to be slow growing lotls. The others were huge in no-time but these were still pretty small when they were about 3 months old. They were the size of a 1 month old lotl.
As long as they eat (I think he does, his belly looks nice and round and dark because of the bloodworms) I wouldn't worry much. He'll grow. But just not that fast as the others. I would blame genetics for that.

tigmades

Reaction score
I too have slow growers! Six are around the 1.5-2" mark and have only grown perhaps 0.5" in the past 3 weeks, while they have some siblings that are over 4"! Just genetics, I believe :)

froggybabe04

Reaction score
It being a hormonal genetic issue was my boyfriend and mines initial thought too. We are going to try tonstart feeding him bbs again and see if we can get some color and growth going again. I will let you guys know how it turns out! Thank you for all your responses! :)

jeangenie149

Reaction score
Hi..I have raised lots of hatchlings and have found the axolotls like most babies, they grow at different rates. .. I'm pleased to see that you have kept it separate from the others, as they would undoubtably pick on it if they were all together,, I think it would be a good idea to transfer it to a larger container or small tank if possible..maybe add a plant and a hiding place so as to give it a little variety..I am sure you will see the difference in a week or so.. I have used this method when I have had a hatchlings that are eating well but need a little boost to catch up to it's siblings..I hope this helps :)

froggybabe04

Reaction score
That does help, all of the comments help! He usually does have a plant in with him, I take it out to feed him. I will try a bigger container and see how that helps. Thanks again! :)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Maybe you're right, i put my tiny axie in a bigger container on monday night and tonight i went to do water changes/feeding and i noticed a growth spurt. Not a huge one but i dont think i have seen him grow since all the other babies were that size too. So it was very exciting to see him growing!

One thing i find weird and regardless on how big they get/how quick, they seem to all get their back limbs at relatively the same time. My tiny baby is about 1" now and has fully developed back limbs. Its like a miniature axolotl. The rest are passing the 2" mark with fully grown back limbs too now.

What am i going to do with all these axies!? :/ haha i have 8 at 2" and my two original that i bought. Mind you tthe only reason for that is i wasnt going to sell the unwell ones and i have 4 that just dont look right to me. And then i wasnt willing to get rid of my tiny one untill i can see he is growing well.

I had a feeling i wouldnt want to get rid of all the babies lmao i got so attached to them i was scared to send them to knew homes. I think they are doing well i have gotten a few phone calls telling me how much they have grown since sunday and how well they are doing. It made me happy to get the phone call :) i really enjoy keeping in touch with them for as long as i can. I told them they have to show me pictures of them growing!
I try to keep in contact with the lady i got mine from here and there. I feel like its nice to get an email here and there with pictures and just saying how well they are doing.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried. As everyone's said , our little darlings can and pretty much always do grow at different rates...but they catch up eventually :p If it were to be an issue with genetics, due to only his size being effected I can only presume the worse case scenario is that he'll be a little'un which, I've found, generally isn't a problem unless you want to house smaller axolotls with "normal" or larger axolotls (bad idea!) or if you wanted to breed them which I strongly do not suggest when you have an individual such as this. I have several male dwarfs myself from previous clutches I've raised but couldn't bare to let go (if you know what I mean :() as there was nothing wrong with them as hatchlings and to this day they're very happy and healthy. Obviously as they're all male they shan't breed and I intend to keep it that way. :happy:

froggybabe04

Reaction score
Thank you allnfor the comments, Tiny passed away yesterday. :( He just stopped eating and was fone in two days. I had a feeling something was up with him. Thank you all again.

layna

Reaction score
Aw thats sad to hear, im sorry, i lost all my babies so i know its upsetting when you lose a litle one :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1