Hand feeding vs live feeding

Garrettb

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey, again, I hope this is in the right spot, couldn't see a feeding topic.
I only recently got my axxies and got some q's.
I've recently got hold of Alot of worms sohave been hand feeding. Should I be mixing up hand feeding to them live feeding with healthy feeder fish?

Earth worms are really the best food. Depending on ur axies size blood worms as well. Feeder fish dont really give them much nutrition.. But there are way more experienced people here.. There is a complete guide to feeding thread here too. I will have a look for u post it up.

My axies love hunting around for the earthworms that I chop in half. I sprinkle them around the sand and the four girls smell them out. It is fun to watch. They're not really into frozen bloodworms. I'm not into them as they are so messy.

i feed a mix of bloodwork and earthworm. Mine prefer the bloodworm as they dont seem to like the effort of eating earthworms :rolleyes:
I defrost the blood worm and then suck it up into a turkey baster, when they see the turkey baster comin they come to the top to eat and i tend to just squirt a little bit which they gulp up :D,i wait til they raise their heads again and give them some more.
They used to love the thrill of the kill with earthworms but most the time now they spit them out the first few times (they always disapear eventually):wacko:

Hey, thanks for the replies and I apologise for the delay in my reply back. My question alert of got answered. I was more looking for if i'm doing the right thing by hand feeding? Naturally they would hunt for food. Should I encourage that more or it's ok to leave them relying on food from my hand?
Thanks

I think its down to personal preference either is fine, there is more control with hand feeding, but some people (myself included) prefer to just put it in a dish and let them get it themselves (mostly because i wont touch worms!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back