Introducing hand feeding

pennypop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Pennypop
Hi there, I'm new to all this and only picked up my axi's yesterday. I was wondering what was the best way to introduce feeding by hand? I have frozen bloodworm at home ready to feed them but just wondering on advice and tips on starting off. Thank you in advance for your help.

How big are your axies? I find bloodworms are very messy and have given them up in favour of earthworms and mealworms now that mine are 6"+.
But if you just waggle the food in front of their noses they should take it quite easily. And they will nibble your fingers!

I don't mind the nibbling, I have 5 birds and 5 hamsters so I'm used to being bitten!! Lol. They are both about 6". Are bloodworms a bit small for them now?? How often is best to feed them when they get to this size??

What about wax worms?? And should the meal worms be alive or the bags of dried ones??

Waxworms are apparently very fatty - great for lizards but not for axies except as an occasional treat.
I use live mealworms, not sure about dried.
With bloodworms I found that they want so much it's not really worth it, and they make such a mess it's a nightmare to clear up afterwards. I feed them daily ATM, 3 small earthworms each.
I can recommend Buy Worms for Fishing Bait and Composting | Worms Direct , I bought a wormkeeper with 500 worms - good for 50 meals even without the worms breeding.

I've heard you can give them small prawns too??

Earthworms at their size should be their staple diet, butthere is a variety of foods you can feed them as a treat. I would avoid freeze dried or dried foods, other then carnivor or axolotl pellets(these can be used as their staple diet if you prefer, or at least thats what i heard, im using earthworms)
Earthworms are easy to hand feed i just dangle it in front of their face and they love it. Bloodworms lol not so much.
I use a feeding jar when i feed mine bloodworms. I throw the frozen cube in the jar and let it defrost. They know its time to eat because the bloodworm floats in the jar till its thawed and then they just walk in and eat.

Their bite isn't even a bite. It's pathetic. It's like if you "bit" someone with just your lips.

Small shrimp can be fun to have in the tank and will get eaten, but they are not "food" in that they aren't providing any kind of sustenance.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Agree - hands down the Earthworms are the best nutrition wise for Axies, mine eat 2 - 3 each night. Best if you can, start a worm farm, that way you have a constant supply and it's good for the environment too.

Mealworms should only be given as treats and not often as live, they can cause internal damage to your Axie and also their shell / exoskeleton can't be digested.

You can keep some ghost/glass shrimp or red cherry shrimp in your tank, they help clean up and make a tasty snack if they are not quick enough to get out of the way :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back