Question: No Breeding :(

stephycarter09

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Stephy
I have had my 4 Axies for about 2.5-3 years now and I have seen no breeding or anything close to that matter. I'm 100% that I have 2 boys and 2 girls. Is there a reason why they wouldn't breed? Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

It is always possible that they are all the same sex or they are just not getting the triggers that they require to get them in the mood. If you post some pics we should be able to tell you what sexes you have.

Regards Neil

mine are 2.5 yrs and only bred for the first time 3 weeks ago! they have been together for 2 years so there is still hope :)

Thanks for the hope Rach!!

Neil, I will try to post some close ups of my Axies. The help in identifying them would be extremely helpful. Ill get right on it!

This is Spot:

This is Chip (This one has been getting 'swollen' recently):

Milly:

Libby:

Looks like 3 females and 1 male to me. Perhaps the male is unable to breed for some reason. Have you ever found spermatophores in the tank?

Well, Spot and Chip are definately male.

Are you able to post more photos of Libby and Milly's hind quarters from a 'bird's eye' view (looking down at them from above)?

Some males are just slow developers and are often mistaken for female because of this.

They may not betray their gender until a female (real one ;)) is introduced. One of my males, Boromir, had me fooled for two or so years - I honesly thought he was a she! I introduced the lovely leucistic, Arwen, to his tank. His cloaca swelled, he danced around her, and two days later, after a cold spell...Arwen started laying eggs all over the place.

What temperature are you keeping them at?

Have you read this? Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully

On a good note: at least if one of them is indeed female, she is at a good age to breed (not too young!).

i agree two males and two females, though on spot i am not 100% chip is definately male i would say :D

I looked at the photo again and by looking at the reflection of spot's underside in the glass i would say male for definate :D

Like Jacq, I had a 'female' for 2 years, with 2 obvious males. One day, I woke up to dozens of spermatophores, and 3 obvious males...

Try separating them into pairs. Some are just shy.

Thank you guys so much for all the help. I have not seen any spermatophores in the aquarium. The two that I think are female are very swollen (fat) One person had told me maybe they are carrying eggs (?) But I'm not too sure. The 'females' will often bump the 'males' and following them around but they just seem to not want anything to do with them. They sure are a very odd group. I did have the two 'females' about 2-3 months before the males but besides that they've been together since. I will work on getting more pictures of them up. Poor little things, I feel like I'm violating their personal space with my camera! :p

Libby
be8odx.jpg

Milly
14e9so4.jpg

Chip
35i3vie.jpg

Spot was being shy and hiding so I couldn't get a 'birds eye view' of him. But he does have a very large bump at the base of his tail, so I'm almost certain he's male.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back