Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How do I clean my dirted fire salamander tank?

Sianita

Reaction score
I have sadly recently lost 2 my year old salamanders :( I am still unsure to why as I couldn't find any disease or fungus etc
I immediately separated and quarantined my last 2 and so far (touch wood) everything has been fine. They have been munching away and growing :) However they do not appreciate being on paper towel at all and so I was thinking of putting them back into a newly dirted (eco earth/topsoil) tank. I have had them quarantined for a month now however I am really paranoid about putting them back together on soil in case it was the soil or something in it.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out with the upkeep of a dirted tank as I think I may have missed something before. I previously had earthworms and woodlice in the tank to help breakdown waste. Is this sufficient or do I need to disinfect or change the soil more often?? I would be really grateful for any advice thanks :)

EasternNewtDude

Reaction score
ok, so put your Sala in a differant tank/conatianer with holes intop with wet paper towels in the bottom. if you don't want to buy new substrate just use a fine sifter, which are available at pet stores as "tortiose poopa scoopas" mist the substrate as you sift thruogh it. rinse the decorations and put them back in when you are done. wipe excess subtrate off of the sides. :grin: hope it helps!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I change my dirt tanks every 4 months or so. They get a complete cleaning: dirt gets dumped, sides wiped down with vinegar and rinsed, new dirt added.

I keep worms and such in my substrate too. I think of them as 'free range' food. :)

Sianita

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys :) sounds like i'm on the right track so i'll hopefully have them in their old tank soon then I'll add photos.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!