Question: Are these hides safe?

Skara

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello!

I have 2 hides/decorations that I'm a little unsure if I can use for my axolotls or not. I've attached pictures of both below.

One is a Marina slate rockscape. It's a little jagged but I think I can sand it off a bit. I've heard slate is safe to use, so as far as I can tell this should be fine, right?

The other hide is a Reptile Cave for desert & tropical terrariums and is made of granite. I'm not sure if I can use this since it seems to be made for terrestrial setups. Is it possible to use this in my aquarium or no?

Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• slaterockscape.jpg
    slaterockscape.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 301
  • granitereptilecave.jpg
    granitereptilecave.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 478
Slate and granite are ok to use. Just make sure they are clean and free of any kind of contaminants, including soap.

The reptile cave is safe. I have one in my smaller tank for about a year now they seem to like it and i have not noticed any color coming off the cave.

Be sure they're actually made out of that material, and not just modeled to look like it. That reptile cave is almost certainly resin, and that multi-tier thing is definitely resin, not slate.

Be sure they're actually made out of that material, and not just modeled to look like it. That reptile cave is almost certainly resin, and that multi-tier thing is definitely resin, not slate.

Are resin items unsafe for axolotls? A lot of the ones I've been considering are resin and I just want to know before purchasing them.

Resin is generally aquarium safe. Just buyer beware, things aren't always as labeled.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back