Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is there anything you can do about bloat?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is anything that can be done about bloat. I havent read any actual remedies. In my opinion i dont think theres much i can do other then what im already doing, keeping him fed, fresh clean water etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 678

Jen10s

Reaction score
Poor little bubby, sorry I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing, I can only think maybe a visit to the vet.

Hope someone more experienced can give you some ideas :-(

Last edited:

Petersgirl

Reaction score
How about this?

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Water Dragon Bloat Cure[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=&quot]On June 18, 2012 Buy-Axolotls.com made an important medical breakthrough for the treatment for Axolotl Bloat. Axolotl Bloat ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bloat is a medical condition in which the stomach becomes overstretched by excessive gas content.) [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=&quot]is the leading causes of death to an Axolotl. We at Buy-Axolotls.com thought that this medical breakthrough for the treatment of Axolotl for Bloat was too important not to share because of the number of Axolotl lives it will save.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=&quot]At Buy-Axolotls.com we believe that every Axolotl life is precious. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Enjoy,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Philip Vena[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Founder of Buy-Axolotls.com[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If your Water Dragon struggle to get to the bottom of the tank then you need to treat for Bloat. Bloat is a medical condition in which the stomach becomes overstretched by excessive gas content.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The first sign of 'bloat' is loss of appetite which is then followed by swelling of the abdomen. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do not feed Water Dragon for one week because the food will only make the problem worst. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Put your Water Dragon in a 2 ½ gallon tank. Then put the water level just over its head so you Water Dragon does not struggle to breath and reach the bottom for food when you start feeding your Water Dragon again. Use cold water to do your water changes and do them every day and add new medicine every day. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You can use tap water for your water changes but let the water run so that it gets as cold as possible. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do not use any filters or any activated charcoal filters during these treatments.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You can use laxative for humans. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You can buy ClearLax at Sam's Club and Walmart.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do Not Buy Flavor Laxative. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If the laxative is a solid you will need to liquefy the laxative. The best way to do this is to use boiling water add 4 parts water to 1 part laxative. (I would recommend that you make more then you need so that it will be available if condition ever happens again.) After your laxative has liquefied then pour it in to a glass jar that has a lid and let it cool. After the laxative has cooled down then you can use an eye dropper and put qty 2 drops every day after you do a water change in a 2 1/2 gallon sick tank. Now that your laxative is a liquid you can use an eye dropper start at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]5 drops for a 3 inch long and 7 drops for a 4 inch long. Change 100% of the water every day for 10 days and add laxative drops every day.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If you see after 3-4 days that your Water Dragon is not getting better add an additional 2 drops more ever 3-4 days until you start seeing improvement. When you start seeing improvement start using less drops; 1 per 3-4 day until you Water Dragon is cured. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you over medicate your Water Dragon; it will Die. Too little is better than too much.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Every Axolotl Life is Precious.

I really hope this helps. It came from Buy_Axolotls.com. I'm not sure what their reputation is or how well this works.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Unfurtunately i think they are talking about something else. Because he doesnt float has no loss of appetite doesnt swim weird isnt lethargic. But i dont think he is growing. Except fron fluid accumulation all over his body including limbs.

Ill attach another picture which i think may be what they are talking about! I wish i had seen this before.

But i think i may try this regardless. I mean it cant make it worst? Im not doing anything right now so doing something may help..
It is unusual that they say dont feed for a week. In sorry but i cant not feed a 2" axolotl for a week that seems cruel too.

As far as the vet goes. Its really out of the question for a baby that it may just be genetic! If it were older i would. I hust spent 300$ on vet bills for my rat so im tapped out right now.

He wasnt going to be one of our "keepers" from this batch and we are already keeping 5 (firjdjajg it was hard to chose just one or two!) ive really just been trying to keep him comfortable and do research trying to see if theres anything i can do.

I have a feeling it may be genetics. Ive had a lot of genetic defects from these babies.

Thank you for that article! Im going to try it i dont know theres anythin to lose!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I forot to add the picture! :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 558

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Bloat is a symptom, not an illness. Floating from constipation is not bloat. PLEASE do not use human medication on ANY animal, not just axolotls.

The best treatment for edema (fluid accumulation) is a hypertonic holtfreters solution.

pondweed

Reaction score
From reading around on the forums, it does seem like detrimental genetic abnormalities lead to bloat in larvae. And by bloat, I mean I've seen several examples of an accumulation of fluid. Like in Crowbar, and another small one recently, and I do believe Lingkong's two-headed larvae developed bloat in the end.

If it were gas, the advice seems to be to feed little ones up (they float if they don't get enough in their bellies!), or else fridge larger ones if they're floating and it's causing stress, so they can burp up the air.

It's a bit morbid, but there's a lot of info about larvae death here, if you haven't seen it already.

Sorry your small one is struggling, Alkylhalide. I don't have experience with this, but keeping it comfortable and cool with the option to feed seems to me the right thing to do.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Okay thank you! Im still new with aquatics. I have 3rats and a cat and a bunch of axies now but im use to rats who if something is wrong other then infections i can normally treat them with over the counter human medicine(obviously in a lott lower doses) all my rats are weighed and the vet helps out a lot too. My vet that i bring all my animals to is the best ever <3 But if i got "vet" care everytime something little happened to my rats oh my would i be more broke then i am now!
But like you can give them probiotics, echinecea i use polysporin for small knicks. Just little things like that. The list is probably longer. I really just use echinecea when one of my rats has a myco flare up because it helps just as much as antibiotics do.

I will look at that solution. Now i dont know what it is since i havent looked it up yet but does it use kind of like a reverse osmosis thing? Because if that is the case it kind of makes sense!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes i have read that article before. Someone posted it on my last thread with my baby that had the fluid in his abdomen.

Its so hard to make the choice of euthanizing too.. Like the last one(above picture) he stoped eating for 5days and had NOTHING in his belly not even poop. It took me 5days from the day he stoped eating and just swimming in circles because thats all he could do before i had the heart to do it. But it hurt me more seeing him suffer so much. He was 17 days old though too.. This guy is 6weeks old and still eating. So its not in my plans for the near future but i have a sick feeling in my stomach it may have to happen one of these days..

But miracles happen! I mean look at nike, my axie that looks like a nike symbol. Hehe:p he is perfect! Well not really but to me he is!

pondweed

Reaction score
Nike is a cutie. : D

( Aha, you've changed your avatar. I did know you'd talked about unwell larvae before, but apparently didn't pay attention! I thought you'd probably seen that page before, but it was worth bringing it up again! )

I don't think I have the mental fortitude to raise larvae at this point. I'm quite okay with the natural order of things (small things that are born in large batches tend to have a high die-off rate. Like chicks.) but perhaps not strong enough to cope atm.

I do hope that he's eating still is a good sign, and it may alleviate of its own accord.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Sorry about the laxative suggestion. What was I thinking? >.< That was stupid of me.

Did you try hypertonic Holtfelter's solution, Alkylhalide?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I am trying it tonight. I read in a caudata article that for fluid retention you should use the solution as its everyday live in water for 3-4days. Even though normally you only do it for like 20minutes. I dont know what i should do then

Do you think hed survive me fridging him? Or should i just keep him out as long as he doesnt get worst?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!