Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking for an axolotl of my own :)

mrp019

Reaction score
Hi! I'm McKenzie and although I've adored axolotls for years, I never really thought of them as a viable option for a pet. But the internet's convinced me that they'd be a great fit for me :) I work as a grooming assistant at my local Petco and with the help of my employee discount (it's a beautiful thing) I was able to purchase everything I needed to set up my future axie's new home. The ph levels are fine, water is cool enough, they have a quiet filter and a fan blowing across the water, places to hide, and river bed rocks that are too big for a juvie to swallow (I'll be changing to silica sand when they're older). I've also got a mesh partition to set up-- because I definitely want 2. I'm ready! It's just a matter of finding a seller now. I'm interested in 2 leucistic axies if anyone has any they'd like to sell.

Also any first hand experiences/advice you think would be good for me, I'd love to hear it. I want to do everything right by my new future companions. And I definitely don't know everything yet.

:p McKenzie

ALSO: Looking for names!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1