Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eva's strange behaviour

Luna

Reaction score
I was just cleaning my tank and i had Eva and Nessie in their containers that i keep them in whilst i clean the tank. I was watching Eva and she was scratching her head/frills with her hind legs. I have never seen her or Nessie do this and i was wondering if it is normal or if i should be worried

racheljritchie

Reaction score
I think it may be a sign of something (i dont remember i have read it on here before...i will have a look and reply again) have you tested your water?

racheljritchie

Reaction score
I Have done a quick search and the suggestions are temperature, fungus, parasite, water quality, stress.... maybe use the search and see if any of the previous posts fit your axolotls behaviours? Hopefully someone else will come anlong to help you more x

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Gill scratching is almost always associated with water quality, especially ammonia. Test your water, and do a water change if necessary.

Luna

Reaction score
i have just done a water change and i havent seen her doing this strange behaviour again. I will get my water tested

layna

Reaction score
Do you have a test kit? The API master test kit you can get off ebay for around £20 but it literally last months on end! worth it for a piece of mind about your axies health :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!