Stubby legs

nicolelawton

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Nicole
I've got a wild type which has stubby legs and very short toes. Nothing on it has regrown, or sustained any damage. Its just a tiny bit smaller than the others of its age.

Now, I've also got a younger melanistic that's showing the same growth pattern.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi! When I bought my axi, I noticed its legs on one side were smaller. I didn't think they were nipped off since they were on seperate containers but someone on here suggested they may have been nipped as a baby. Anyways in last week, iv noticed they have grown quite a bit. So I have no idea what actually happened. Haha

Chances are they were nipped. Cannabism starts just randomly i think. I thined mine out weekly and they were at 3-4 per container and 7 in the big containers and literally i fed them in the morning and everything was fine and i came home in the afternoon an a lot had suffer sustanable damage! It was 6hours! So i immediatly left again and got tubs so they would be alonez but unfurtunately there were quite a few injuries, nothing major just a piece of a limb here a nip at a gill, one got the tip of his tail bit right off.

But i know better nexttime. As soon as i see back limbs coming in they are going to be by themselves, i would not even risk it again.

Though we kept the guy that got his tail bit off, its growing back a little offset hehe and he is a melanoid and we are naming him toothless. I know theres a million toothless axolotls but i thought it was ironic that he has an injured tail

I forgot to actually answer your question sorry!
If i remember correctly my wild type had really chubby limbs. He grew into it though eventually if it doesnt look deformed or regenerating a limb back or something id just say thats how he is :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back