Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from ireland:)

MarcMc

Reaction score
Hello im getting my first tiger salamander this Saturday and i just wanted to know if there is anything i need to know like can i put more then one salamander in the one tank or just stuff along them lines, I already did my research on how to care for them and the other basic things:happy:

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Substrate: Recommended to Use Coconut Fiber(Ecoearth) with a Mix of Organic Top soil(Check to see that there is no fertilizers or peat moss, etc) Have the Substrate At Least 4 Inches to allow For Burrowing

Water: Provide a Water Dish Big Enough To Have It Submerse Itself Only 1-2 Inches Deep, Clean Like Daily, Mist(can use a spray bottle) Your Tank So The Substrate is Moist(Not So Wet That You Can Wring It Out But Not Super Dry Either) For Reconstituting Coconut Fiber Blocks(Or Use The Bagged Ones) or For Misting or The Waterdish Use Dechlorinated or Aged Tap Water. Not Distilled.

Feeding: Use Tongs/Forceps or Hand Feed. They Arent The Best Hunters so Dont Leave Live Food Free In The Tank They Will Just Hide and live, Try Like Dusted Crickets, Earthworms, Chopped Nightcrawlers, They Will Most Likely Not Eat Pellets like Ever.

Tank: 10 Gallons is 'Okay' For One. 20 Long Might Be Able to House 2.

Hides: Have a Few Hides Incase He Doesnt Wanna Burrow(Can Burrow for Weeks) Make Sure Theyre Nice and Dark.

Ventilation: Recommend a Wire Mesh Top But Make Sure That Theres No Big Gaps Where One Could Escape Out Of.

Lighting: Not Needed They Are Nocturnal. Dont Provide a Light That Gives Out Any heat.

*Note* If You Gather Worms or Other Bugs From The Wild Make Sure The Area Doesnt Use Any Pesticides.
Hope This Helps, I Wrote It Twice and Accidentally Deleted It and The Undo Button didnt Wanna Work.. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1