Axolotl Feeding dilemma

Lexolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lex
I've been feeding bloodworm to my axolotls up to this point, because I unfortunately don't live anywhere near a shop that sells earthworms. I've searched EVERYWHERE within a 30 mile radius of myself. It's ridiculous.

My axolotls are about 5 inches long each, I have two. I feed them a cube of bloodworms every day. I work for a specialty fish store and I have access to feeder guppies, live brine shrimp, and several different frozen food items.

Is there anyway that I can order earthworms online? Are there certain places that you guys order worms from? Maybe I should start my own worm farm?
Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Earthworms For Sale : Worm Composting Experts.
This website has worms that you can buy and I think to farm them. It says red worms are pretty healthy and nutritious.. They are under feeders section

There is also vermin culture, they have them for decomposition and bait, but you could probably use them for feeding too. If you got your own culture going, that would definitely help in the long run and save money too, and have food on hand whenever, but its completely up to you:) Hope this helped!
-Tanner

Thank you SO much for the link! It's a big help!

Are red worms better in the long run? It seems like they would be easier to feed to my axies.

Walmart near you doesn't have bait worms?

Unfortunately, no. :-/
I've called several Walmarts, pet stores, even gardening stores.

This is weird, but try gas stations. I've been directed to gas stations for worms a number of times...with luck. ???

It's funny, I live in Texas. You would think that I could easily find some earthworms. ha ha

I even called a BASS PRO SHOP that was 45 minutes away from me and even THEY didn't have any! Ridiculous, I tell you.

I will try gas stations, though. lol

I know im from the uk but i literally went onto google and typed in, 'earthworms for sale' and there were tons of sites that sell and deliver worms :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back