Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

MAJOR Filter Issues!

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
So my filter FINALLY came in the mail and I have a HUGE problem.

I have a 20 gallon long and decided to order the 40 gallon sponge filter thinking "Hey, more surface area on the sponge more room for bacteria to grow!"

Well.....THE FILTER IS TOO TALL. Even with the tank filled to the brim the tubing would still be JUST over the surface.

ANY tips at all?

I'm thinking at this point my easiest options are to attempt to cut the tubing shorter (probably using a steak knife as I'm not handy at all and have no tools) or try to cut the sponge in half (there appear to be two strainers inside so I can just take out one).

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A photo would definitely help!

A basic sponge filter should still work as long as you have an uptake tube, even if you hack it down.

layna

Reaction score
Uh oh! is it not adjustable?
or can you put it in sideways ect?
but yeah if you cute the tube it should just slot back in the hole, just littler :D

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
e2667e76-97b1-4c49-a0cf-aea13837ba31.jpg

Hopefully that worked. And isn't ridiculously enormous.

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
I'm supposed to be heading to an aquarium store today that might carry extra sponges so I can probably just buy a smaller sponge (that way I don't have to mangle mine while trying to cut it down), I'm just disappointed since I wanted to get it up and running today.

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
I ended up finding a smaller sponge at the store and just bought that, so it fits now, though I did have to fill the tank up almost all the way to the top.

I have a DIFFERENT problem now, though.....

The bubble intensity isn't so high that it would disturb an axolotl I don't think, but it's splashing all over my hood, which is a metal reptile screen. I'd really like it to NOT rust, but my air pump doesn't have any way to lower the intensity. Any tips?

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
Mine didn't come with anything like that :/

For now I tied a knot in the line that's slowed it down a tiny bit....I'll be at the petstore on Wednesday and will look at the valves when I'm there.

layna

Reaction score
Hey, i have a sort of clip/peg thing made for keeping sandwich bags closed, i just clip it round the pipe and it makes the flow a lot calmer, if i take it off the bubbles are ridiculous haha!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Choking the air output from your pump can shorten it's lifespan.

Take a gallon ziploc bag, and 'sew' it to your lid above the filter with some fishing line. The water hits the bag, falls back in, doesn't rust your lid.

layna

Reaction score
I would prefer shortening the pumps lifespan though as the pump really is powerful and it disturbs all the water, my axies dont like it :(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Another thought would be to split the line between your filter and an air stone on the other end of the tank. This helps turn over your water too, eliminating dead spots.

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
Ahhhh, such great suggestions!

I think for now i'm going to keep the knot in my line and "sew" a bag to my screen until I work my other job on Wednesday and look into picking up a second airstone or see if we carry any valves that allow me to change the flow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1