Axolotls: coloured vision??

miguelmannao29

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Display Name
joey29
Hi im just wondering if axolotls see the world in full colours as a human eye does... if not what colours do they not see??.. i really need this info because my axies tend to eat pellets in mid water and the lights have to be off - as they wont hunt for their food so the food that i leave for them to hunt jst clouds the water - i have to accurately drop the pellets within a radius of 1cm near their mouth (its very difficult when its dark)... i need a colour that they cant see, so i can set the light to that colour to aid me from dropping their food accurately.

I dont think there has been many studies on axolotl vision so nobody "really" know what they see. How old is your axolotl? Ive never had problems with them finding the food before. Just when they are babies and are taken off live food.

As far as i know axolotls when they first hatch the prey on movement, once they get older they start using smell to find their food.

In my opinion i dont think axolotls see much. Maybe shadows but nothing exciting. And thats my theory on why they follow your movement sometimes, since they eat anything that moves(or try) and you are moving so ultimately i think their instinct is "theres food out there im going to get fed!"

Remember since they have noeyelids they are very sensitive to light, if they only see shadows an not color then it would make things a bit easier on their eyes. And since they like darkness more then light i figure maybe they see better at night, meaning again no color just shadows.

Rats are the same way, an albino rat is pretty much as blind as a bat. And they see better(and like it better) in the dark. They just see blurry shadows too but they somehow have great depth perception.

I wonder this as well. Have you tried feeding your axolotl anything else?

I have 2 axoltls - 1 leucistic 1 wildtype - both 8 months old

They were hunting before...

maybe im feed them too much. maybe its because they don't need to hunt because they're still full. i feed them 1 of 6mm pellets every other day.

they're both 8 and a half inches long and their body width is 2 inches. is that good? are they too fat?or just the right size.

here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 1,632
  • IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 894
they look really healthy to me. and nonsense you cant have a fat axie :p lmao

If you fed them to much they would regurgitate their food. bleghhh

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back