Help with eurycea longicauda (long tailed salamander)

TristanClark

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tristan Clark
I found a wild long tailed salamander and i currently have it in a 5.5 gallon tank with gravel sloping down into water and pieces of bark and leaves on the land part. i'm not sure how to set it up because i found it on a sand bank near a spring i havent found a care sheet for it anywhere online. some say they are semi aquatic some say they are terrestrial. please anyone that has experience with this species could post pics or tell me how to set up a viv for it and tell me their temperature requirements it would be greatly appreciated.

In the wild they live around shallow bodies of water, often in caves or cool crevices. I'm pretty sure this is a species of lung-less salamander (breaths entirely through its skin). This species requires cooler temperatures, as well as a clean environment (apparently in the wild they are very susceptible to pollution.
You should check the status of this species in the wild as in many areas they are listed as threatened. Collecting them from the wild could possibly be illegal or degrading to their wild populations.
As for captive care you should keep them in at least a 10 gallon tank with 1/3 being about 2" of water. For the land I wouldn't use gravel, but rather a permeable and safe substrate such as coconut fiber. You could slope up the land area with gravel (leaving an area for the pool), cover it with a plastic (don't use metal) screen divider, and then add a few inches of soil substrate. On the other hand, you could just provide a large water bowl to make cleaning easier. As for temperature, based on their wild habitat they require cooler temps: 50-68F would be ideal.

Thats how i keep my tiger salamander, i could easily set up a 10 gal with coconut husk a big water dish and some bark hides. But my house gets way to hot so I'll probably let it go where I found it, thanks for the help though I thought if it was an aquatic species I might could cool it somehow.

In many areas it's illegal to release animals that have been taken into captivity.

Even if it's not, it's bad practice. Animals can pick up novel pathogens in captivity which can be transmitted to wild populations.

If you're not able to keep it, please find it an appropriate home.

I'm considering giving it a terrestrial setup with eco earth and rocks / bark hides sloping down to a good sized water dish. I have got it to eat some earth worms and small crickets. I might try setting it up in front of an air conditioner to keep proper temps. I think its worth a shot, if this doesnt work ill turn it loose next week. If anyone else keeps this species please comment.

Again, I cannot stress enough how it is bad ethics (and potentially illegal!) to release animals from captivity into the wild. If you're not going to keep it, please find someone who can instead of releasing it into the wild.

As far as it being illegal, the area i found it is extremely remote so the chances of me getting caught are slim even if it is illegal which i doubt. second if it doesnt work out i will let it go where i found it. keeping it a week or two and then letting it go where i found it isnt going to hurt anything or the wild salamanders illegal or not. but like i said i think its worth a shot im setting it up tonight to see how things work out :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back