Salamander Diet

Salalicious

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Just outta curiosity, can salamanders eat turtle food?

Can they? Yes. Should they? Probably not. Many turtles are omnivores, while salamanders are almost strictly carnivores.

Ty for your replies.

Would it matter what type of salamander can eat turtle food? I have land-based salamanders such as fire & tiger ones.

Also could it be poisonous & injure the salamanders as the shrimp & pellets in the turtle food are a tad hard?

Not poisonous, but the vegetable matter in the pellets might cause problems with digestion.
If you want to feed pellets to your animals, go with a suitably formulated brand. There are "axolotl" pellets out there which are high quality.
Bare in mind, however, that terrestrial caudates are very unlikely to accept pellets unless trained to eat from tweezers.

I agree with Rodrigo. I wouldn't bother with pellets for terrestrial animals.

My tiger salamander's first owners gave me pellets for him but i figured live food was better than pellets so i never gave them to him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back