I was losing hope but, I think I have eggs! Help

stephycarter09

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Stephy
My females have been getting rather large. And after being worried that they would not breed (I even have a thread about it and so many nice people gave me tips and helped me sex my axies) and now I think one of my females is laying eggs!! Her bottom was getting very swollen and it had me worried. Then I saw her grabbing the plants with her back legs and rubbing her bottom all over the plants. After watching for awhile I saw this
2rnh754.jpg

There's only four of them now and she's been at it for some time now. Her gills are also very red. One of the eggs was stepped on by my other axis and was detached from the plant. Is that bad?
o9jx2u.jpg

Do they normally go from plant to plant and just lay a couple of eggs on them? What should I do about the other axies that are with her?
2r79esx.jpg

HELP :eek:

i cant see the pics (work computer doesnt let me) but if they are fertalised eggs and you want them to hatch, you need to remove them from the tank as the axies will just eat them :/

Those certainly are eggs and the egg laying behaviour of your female is perfectly normal. Your female must be an albino or some sort due to the white eggs. Don't worry about a few eggs that get dislodged onto the bottom of the tank as these will develop normally and are surprisingly tough.

Regards Neil

I just checked on her and so far I see 18 eggs. Wow, this is really happening! Advice on splitting them up and housing the eggs? That would be amazing :)

You should remove the unfertalised ones as soon as you spot them to stop fungus growing and spreading to the fertalised ones.
Housing, well when they are first hatched you can keep them together but most people put them in individual tubs for ease of feeding ect, just change the water daily.

Do they not need a filter or air stone of any sort?

No because you are changing the water 1 to 2 times a day, so its got oxygen in it and is clean, youll need plenty of dechlorinated water lying around haha! :)
When my eggs hatched i personally had them in a small tank with about 4" of water and a sponge filter (laid down so it fit under the water) and i just did large water changes daily and scooped the poop.
When they were getting to be different sizes i had them in tubs in two's based on their size :rolleyes:

I am so excited and nervous at the same time! Thanks so much! Ill keep them posted. And if you think of anything else that would help, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

have you decided on food?
I went with daphnia, becuase you dont need to worry about them fouling the water, or adding too much salt to it, but a lot of people use baby brine shrimp, you have to hatch them everyday though.
Or you could try monia, which are slightly larger than baby brine shrimp, but are also saltwater

I was thinking of going with daphnia. It seems like the go to food. So I heard the eggs aren't fragile, how exactly should I go about with water changes? Like the whole removing the eggs and changing the water. I just don't know if I should be extremely careful with them, or just cautious.

You don't need to do any water changes on eggs. They don't produce any waste.

My female has a clear jelly like sac hanging off her back side. So far she has had 23 eggs. She is still swimming around and rubbing on plants but hasn't placed anymore eggs. Just has this little sac thing. What is that?

Okay, I have the eggs in a separate container with a plant (the one they were on) Most of the eggs have dents in them or little bumps coming off of them, and three of them are very oblong and almost look like developing bodies. Why haven't the other ones changed? And are the tiny bumps normal?

Okay, I have the eggs in a separate container with a plant (the one they were on) Most of the eggs have dents in them or little bumps coming off of them, and three of them are very oblong and almost look like developing bodies. Why haven't the other ones changed? And are the tiny bumps normal?

they do look kinda odd when they are developing. how many did she lay in total? mine laid eggs aprox 6 weeks ago for the first time and of the 300-350 eggs she laid only aprox 50 were fertilised the rest didnt develop at all. do you have any photos so we can see what they look like? or google or search this forum for axolotl egg development and you should get some pictures:happy:

Okay so I've kept a close eye on them and only three are going to develop. The others are starting to turn cloudy. She had 30. My female still has this jelly sac hanging off her back end. Does anyone know what this is and if it will come off on its own?
acpgdc.jpg

Oh wow thats awesome :) congratzs hehe! I saw some white looking eggs in my tank i havnt moved them
Yet as i cant see them being eggs due to her size but could be wrong :p

No idea about the jelly. Try pulling on it very gently and see if it falls out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back