When to feed?

tfmreefs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I have a quick question- when are the larva old enough to eat frozen blood worms? Thanks

Whenever they can swallow it :) from being hatched if you chop it up they can eat it

I have tried and they havent.. Is it because they need to sense movement? I even treid wiggling it a bit with tweezers and it scared him off..... ?

Try some dapnia. There are some good deals on aqua bid and ebay. You could probably find 1,000 for around 20 dollars

I already have mine on microworms and baby brine shrimp, but just wondering when I can first start with blood worms and when they will accept it

Hey there!

I don't know about anyone else, as I'm fairly new, but I was feeding baby brine shrimp until it became obvious it wasn't big enough to fill them up adequately without a LONG time in the feeding tank. Mine were about 1- 1 1/2 inches.

I got the frozen blood worm cubes, and as it was thawing in the water, cut it in half to make small enough pieces for them to handle. And yes, the tweezers are a scary thing for them at first, so you need to try and be careful to not knock on the tank itself or they will get startled.

But, with all of that being said, it is SO much easier, less time consuming, and less messy! Good luck! :D

yes they need the movement, i used to hover the tweezers above their head and just drop it, the saw it coming and jumped for it, but sometimes i did need to just wiggle it a bit in front of their faces.
Youve got to bear in mind they cant see all that well, so it just takes patience :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back