Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl larvae suddenly dying off- Urgent help needed!!!

Demodex

Reaction score
My axolotl laid her first batch of eggs a few weeks ago. I moved the spawn to a separate tank for hatching, and housed the tank with a few plants for them. Out of the 200+ eggs that she laid, just over half of them hatched.
For the first 2 weeks or so after hatching, the larvae seemed to be thriving! I hatched and fed them baby brine shrimp, which seemed to be working out great.

However, within the last week tragedy seems to have struck, as I came home to find half of the axies had dropped dead! I moved the survivors to a separate container and completely cleaned out the tank, but every day more and more just seem to be dying off. I have no idea what the problem could be. I changed the water daily, had a heater for constant temperatures, made sure the shrimp were well-rinsed and that there was enough food to go around. Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

I have only a handful of larvae left, but they seem to be quite lifeless. They aren't swimming around much or even eating the food I give them. Is there anything I can do to save them?
Thanks in advance.

karipatra

Reaction score
What's your temp at? It could be they're too hot. I wouldn't have them over 65 or so, as anything close to 70 degrees and over can stress and kill them.

You mentioned a heater and that may be the culprit.

Best of luck and hope the others make it!

Demodex

Reaction score
The temp was around 65, it was the lowest that heater would go I think.
I removed the heater a few days ago, when collecting the surviving axies. Should I not put it back in then?
Thanks for the reply!

karipatra

Reaction score
65 is about as high as I would have them.

Is your water adequately dechlorinated? That would cause big problems as well.

Sorry I can't be much more help! :(

Demodex

Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

Yes, I purchased some aquarium dechlorinator back when I first got my adult axies, and it has worked no problem for them. I've heard the larvae could be much more sensitive to things like that?

And no worries, I appreciate your help!

layna

Reaction score
Hey i had the same problem with 17 of my axies, they were great for 6 weeks then they all went really grey with ice white gills, became frozen and died, i never did find out what happened to them but i suspect as i kept them in the same container but with dividers in, they all got ill through the water, are yours in seperate tubs?
i would seperate them if possible

Demodex

Reaction score
Thanks! I checked out that article the other day, I did notice the tail-curling in a lot of the axies.

And I just have serveral plants for aeration, I was told they would supply adequate oxygen for the axies, plus places to hide. I'm thinking it might be smarter to get an airstone too?

Layna- I'm sorry to hear about that! I saw that in mine too, they went grey and curled up a little before they died. It was quite heartbreaking... :( And no, mine were all kept in the one tank. I think that might have caused a few problems..

layna

Reaction score
Yes i think if mine ever laid eggs in the future i would defiantly keep them in separate containers :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1