Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl Atop filter

IgosDuIkana

Reaction score
I just caught one of my axies resting atop the filter, almost on the surface.
I think that's super weird, so what could it be? Water conditions?

layna

Reaction score
Yesterday i can home and couldnt see my wildtype, took me a good 5 mins to realise he was perched on, the really thin green stem, with one leg hanging down either side of it, of my silk plant sat under the filter. His gills were blowing from the water but he seemed content with it :)
He just liked blending in with the plant haha, lotl hide and seek.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yup, mine like sitting on the filter, in foliage etc near the surface. In fact, one of mine sleeps half way up a tree, wedged with his belly against the glass.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I used to have one of those tanks which in the corner has a container thing divided into a filter side, and heater side (like the picture attached). Now, obviously I didn't have a heater so that part was empty.
The water level must have been a little bit over the top of this container and I came home one day to a missing axolotl.
I was absolutely freaking out, I had a lid on the tank and there was really no way he could have gotten out. I eventually found him curled up in the container.

Attachments

• pump-280-b.jpg
    pump-280-b.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,278

Kerry M

Reaction score
You could always test your water to check. Whenever I am worried about something I do a test. Your lotl could just be chilling out, they like to find somewhere to hang out ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1